This recipe uses low-carb tortillas. I chose Mission brand since it is widely available.Print Recipe Add to MealplanAdd to Mealplan
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 roma tomato
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 Mission Carb Balance Soft Taco Flour Tortillas
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup black beans with the liquid (in other words, you don't need to drain them)
- 1/2 lime
- 2 green onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Make the bean mix and poblano
- Core, deseed, and dice the peppers. Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens. Dice tomato. Zest the lime.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add diced peppers, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until just starting to soften (about 4 minutes).
- Stir in scallion whites, beans with liquid, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, ¼ tsp salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, then mash beans until mostly smooth. Continue simmering until mixture has thickened, about 3 minutes more. Turn off heat. Transfer bean mixture to a bowl. Wipe out pan.
- In a small bowl, combine tomato, scallion greens, lime zest, and a squeeze of lime juice to taste. Season with salt and pepper.
Assemble and cook the quesadillas
- Spread on one tortilla a layer of mashed beans and peppers. Top with cheese. Top with the other tortilla.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in the pan over medium heat. Add quesadillas and cook until tortillas are golden brown and cheeses are melted, 3-4 minutes per side. ( Slice quesadillas into wedges and top with creamy guacamole and salsa.
Calories: 582 kcal | Carbohydrates: 34 g