Servings: 4 peoplePrint Recipe Add to MealplanAdd to Mealplan
- 2 lbs Tomatillos papery skin removed, and tomatillos cut in half
- 1 each jalapeno chopped
- 3 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 12 each corn tortillas
- 1 pound Chicken Breast Boneless and Skinless
- 1 large onion chopped
- 8 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 teaspoons vegetable Oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a pan of salted water (add enough salt to the water to make it taste like the sea) to a simmer. (the water will be steaming and may have occasional bubbles, but should not be boiling).
- Add the chicken to the simmering water. Poach the chicken over low heat until just cooked through, about 9 minutes. Remove to a bowl and allow to cool. With your fingers, finely shred the chicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add the chopped onion and jalapeño, cook until the onion is softened (about 3-5 minutes). Add the tomatillos, season with salt and continue cooking until wilted.
- Pour the tomatillos into a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Add the cilantro. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Lubricate a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray and spread a little sauce on the bottom.
- Heat the tortillas (you need to do this or else they will break while you fill them) Working with 1 tortilla at a time, place in a dry, hot pan for about 8 seconds per side. Remove the tortila from the pan, then add 1/3 cup of chicken to the tortilla and roll into a cylinder. Repeat, lining up tortillas tightly in the baking dish.
- Spread the rest of the sauce over the tortillas and cover with cheese. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and place in the oven. Bake until heated through, about 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake 10 minutes longer, until the cheese is melted.
Serving: 3 enchilada | Calories: 610 kcal | Carbohydrates: 50 g