Servings: 6Print Recipe Add to MealplanAdd to Mealplan
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 large russet potato peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 1 large onion diced
- ¾ cup frozen green peas
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 rotisserie chicken skin removed, bones removed, and meat diced
- 1/2 package Pillsbury pie crust a 14 oz package has 2 crusts, you are using just one.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 13 inch casserole dish with cooking spray.
Make the pot pie sauce
- First, make the roux. Melt 4 tbs butter over medium-low heat in a large saucepan, until foaming. Mix in flour. Cook 2–5 minutes, constantly mixing. (You are just trying to cook this long enough to get rid of the raw flour taste. The texture will be similar to wet sand. The mixture may take on a light tan color, that is fine.)
- To the roux, add the 2 cups of chicken broth, mixing constantly until mixture is smooth. Add the cup of milk and again mix until smooth. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until slightly thickened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, add chicken and vinegar, and stir to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour out the mixture into a separate bowl, and wipe out the pan.
Cook the veggies
- In the cleaned pan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add onions and sage, cook for about 2 minutes (until the sage is fragrant)
- Add potato, celery, carrots. Cook for another 6 minutes.
- Turn the heat off, then Stir in the peas, parsley, and the chicken mixture. Season again with salt and pepper to taste.
Assemble the pot pie and bake
- Pour filling into the casserole dish.
- Using a roller, roll out the dough so that it will fit over the baking dish.
- Place dough over the baking dish, tucking dough into the edges of the dish. Cut 10 slits in the dough to allow for venting.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until crust is golden and mixture is bubbling.
Calories: 525 kcal | Carbohydrates: 39 g