Servings: 4 personPrint Recipe Add to MealplanAdd to Mealplan
- 12 ounces tomato sauce divided
- 2 medium eggplants halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¾ lb. chopped fresh plum tomatoes
- 1 large egg beaten
- 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella divided
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spread about 1 cup tomato sauce in the bottom of a medium baking dish.
- Using a spoon, hollow out the eggplants leaving about a 1/2” thick border around skin to create a boat. Roughly chop scooped out eggplant. Place eggplant boats on prepared baking dish.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in chopped eggplant and season with oregano, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the eggplant is golden, about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer mixture to a bowl.
- To the bowl with the eggplant mixture, add chopped tomatoes, egg, 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella, and 1/2 cup tomato sauce. Mix until just combined. Scoop mixture into eggplant boats.
- Top with the remaining cup of mozzarella cheese, Top with 1 1 cup of Parmesan and the bread crumbs.
- Bake until the eggplants are tender and the cheese has melted, about 40 minutes. Just before the eggplants are done, slice the basil into thin strips (this is called a chiffonade)
- Garnish eggplants with basil and serve
Calories: 460 kcal | Carbohydrates: 25 g