The Hugo Burrito
Servings: 8 servingsPrint Recipe Add to MealplanAdd to Mealplan
- 1 handful cilantro roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 each poblano peppers
- 1 each lime
- 3 each avocado
- 1 each red onion, large chopped
- 12 oz sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 15 oz black beans, canned
- 8 each flour tortillas, 10 inch
- 1 cups jasmine rice, uncooked
- 4 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1-2 each chipotle pepper, chopped (seeds removed) either dried peppers, or canned chipotle perppers in adobo sauce is fine.
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 12 tablespoons light sour cream OPTIONAL INGREDIENT
- Preheat broiler. If not already completed, prepare the veggies as described in the ingredients section.
- Cook rice according to package instruction. Typically, this is: In a medium saucepan with a lid, combine the 1 cup of rice with 1.5 cups water. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, stir once, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 18 minutes. (Do not lift the lid or stir while it is cooking, you will let the steam escape and the rice won’t cook properly). Meanwhile…
- In a large pan, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil over medium-high heat, then add the chopped onion and cook until translucent and starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped poblano peppers and chipoltle pepper. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic, 4 tbsp cumin, and 1 tbsp chili powder and mix
- Add the chopped tomatoes and their juices to the pan. mix the tomatoes into the veggies, scraping up any browned bits stuck to the pan. (This is called “deglazing” the pan)
- Add the mushrooms and canned black beans (including the liquid) to the pan. Reduce heat to medium and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is gone. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice open avocados and empty the flesh into a bowl. Mix with the juice of 1 lime and the chopped cilantro. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the bean mix is cooked down, add the rice and stir to incorporate. take the pan off the heat.
- Prepare a casserole pan by coating with cooking spray.
- Assemble the 8 burritos as follows: 2 tbsp avocado, 1/4 cup cheese, 1 cup bean mix. Wrap the burrito and place in casserole pan.
- Place in oven on the top rack (about 6 inches from broiler. Broil until the burritos are starting to brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with light sour cream on the side (optional).
Calories: 480 kcal | Carbohydrates: 62 g