Servings: 2Print Recipe Add to MealplanAdd to Mealplan
- 4 ounces penne pasta
- 1 roma tomato
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 12 each asparagus
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 each scallion
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta is al dente, 9-11 minutes. Reserve ½ cup pasta cooking water (per 2 servings). 1 cup if scaling up to 4 servings), then drain.
- While pasta cooks, prepare the other ingredients. Trim and discard woody ends from asparagus. Cut the stalks crosswise into 1-inch pieces. Dice tomato. slice the scallions, separating green from white. Zest the lemon and then cut the lemon into quarters.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter (2 TBSP for 4 servings) in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add panko and almonds; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in a pinch of lemon zest and a pinch of chili flakes. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Heat 3 of olive oil in same pan over medium-high heat. Add asparagus and the scallion whites and cook, stirring, until bright green and tender, 2-4 minutes.
- Add tomato and cook, stirring, until slightly softened, 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn the heat down to low. Add 2 tablespoons butter (4 TBSP for 4 servings), Parmesan cheese, reserved pasta water, half the green scallion, remaining lemon zest, and as much chili flakes as you like to pan. Cook, stirring, until pasta is coated in sauce, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in a squeeze of lemon juice to taste. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide pasta between bowls. Sprinkle with panko mixture and remaining Parmesan. Garnish with scallion greens. Serve with remaining lemon wedges on the side.
Calories: 621 kcal | Carbohydrates: 52 g | Vitamin C: 3 mg