I learned about this a few years ago and was blown away by the taste. It is amazing how closely in texture a blended frozen banana is to ice cream. With this as the base, you can get creative and add mix-ins at the very end of the blending. Think peanut butter, cookie butter, a biscoff cookie, almonds, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, strawberries, blueberries… you get the drift.
- 1 large banana ripe
- Starting with a ripe banana, peel and chop it into small pieces (the shape doesn’t matter)
- Put the bananas in an airtight container, and freeze at least overnight
- Pulse the frozen banana pieces in a small food processor (you can use a high speed blender, but the food processor is better) Scrape down the sides as needed.
- Once the pieces in the blender look crumbled or smashed, switch from pulse to blend. Remember to scrape down the sides as needed. The banana will start to look mushy, then look like oatmeal, then will finally transform into a creamy, soft-serve ice cream consistency
- Once it has the right consistency, blend for a few more seconds to whip some air into the nicecream.
- Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until solid. You can eat the ice cream immediately, but it’ll probably be a little too soft.